My Journey of Becoming a Voice for Care Leavers 

 Not everyone is born with a silver spoon but then there are those who create one for themselves. I am excited that I am one of the latter! 

My life has been full of hardships, struggles and poverty. But my persistence,  resiliency and diligent  attitude has helped me shape my destiny and become a person that  I am today: A young girl with experience of being in formal care in India, but with high dreams and hopes for the future and an inspiring change maker. I am a LIFT (Learning in Fellowship Together) fellow, raising awareness about the situation of care leavers in India and working towards getting them identified and their rights. LIFT is the name we, as fellows coined in consensus  and it is a one year life changing opportunity for us.  Reflecting on my life journey is a medium to bring attention to the stories and situation of Care Leavers (CLs) and children put up in child care institutions in India. It is also aimed to  become symbolic of the collective voices of all CLs thereby providing them  confidence to collectively come and co-create their own strong family and network as a safe and resourceful platform for each and every CL. 

Early years and leaving home

I was born in a family full of problems and challenges. My father was a gardener and my mother was a housewife. My parents were not at all supportive and didn’t not even provide basic care to the four of us. They both used to fight daily and take out all the frustration on the four of us.  When I was 4 year old, I lost my mother, and me and my siblings were left alone to  tackle and overcome all the challenges and trauma on our own. I became mature at a very young age because of the circumstances I faced because of my  family but I resolved to achieve my goals through education. I used to feel very excited when my neighbor’s children would share about their day at school which made me understand the importance of studies to become self-reliant, and I thereby determined to study When I was  7 years old, I reached out to my next door neighbor lady and requested her to enroll me in a government school at least. I am delighted to share that I was blessed to get a supportive and samaritan class teacher during my most difficult times. Unfortunately, when I turned 11, my father also died due to ill-health and the four of us became a burden for our extended family members. My aunt used to take us to some farm field and we both used to work as labor for hours, but  the wage used to be given to our aunt directly. After four months, I took the bold step of running away with my younger brother to Delhi from home in Uttar Pradesh.

Finding an Alternative Family

In Delhi, we met the child line workers who took us to the Child Welfare Committee and I was sent to stay at the Udayan Ghar, which soon became my family. For the next 6 years, I stayed at the East of Kailash Udayan care home where I was admitted to a government school and I was assigned a tutor who helped me with my overall positive growth like confidence, language proficiency, understanding of the situation, etc. In the beginning, I went through many ups and downs but then I followed my heart, and this family encouraged me in all possible ways. I got mentors, caretakers, sisters, brothers and teachers who supported and encouraged me to be consistent and reliable. I worked hard and got admission into a leading school in the humanities stream. Initially it was very difficult for me to manage myself and study in English medium school. But, I did not give up and  worked very hard with special coaching for English and Math. At 18 years of age, I joined their Aftercare facility in greater noida to learn independent living skills and to continue education and vocational skills training. This family helped me fulfill many of my dreams and I a working hard to achieve more in life.  

Nurturing a bold dream of becoming a journalist

Few years from now, I do visualize myself as a renowned journalist. This inspiration comes to me from one of my challenges which I overcame when I connected with a journalist who agreed to help me during my admission to Delhi University. Despite securing good marks in class 12, I had to fight for my admission under the Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) category as I didn’t have the income certificate of my parents to get admission. I filled out the DU registration form in EWS thinking that on the basis of my orphan recommendation letter from the child welfare committee (legal children court)  they will take me in that category. When I went to confirm my admission, I was told to present the income certificate of parents. But, the District magistrate refused to issue the EWS certificate because I did not have an income certificate and parents! With the support of Udayan care, a renowned journalist came across my story and highlighted the case in mainstream newspaper - “Voices of students not getting admission into EWS being orphaned”. This one media report got me into college under the management quota. 

Feeling at home and building a family at Udayan

I, being a part of Udayan family, understood the true meaning of family “that it is the bond that links the true family is not one of blood but of respect and joy in each other’s life”. I have been loved by each member of this family regardless of anything. In this family I found loving, caring and supportive mentors, sisters and brother, caretakers who have filled my life with joyful moments and several life lesson leanings. They treated me like their own child.  This family always provided me with a family-like environment.  I feel so connected and attached to this family. Since I became part of this family, I got whatever I had always desired and wished for and I feel this is  because I could strongly and positively connect myself with the members of this family. The times I feel most loved are the times I am with or near the Udayan care family.

Becoming a voice of care leavers and joining CLAN

When I turned 18 and got admission into college even by that time I was not aware of the term “CARE LEAVER” and was unaware of the fact that I am also a care leaver. Youth who are under the care of any Child care institution (CCI) are required by the law to move out at the age of 18 and thus become “CARE LEAVERS”. This is regardless of the fact that at 18 they may not be strong and independent enough to lead a life by themselves! I am glad I was supported to become strong independent leaders of tomorrow, but that is not the case for all children. During my transitioning period into aftercare I was introduced to a network “CLAN” which is an independent body founded and created by the youth like me. I joined CLAN and became an active member. This network is volunteer based and its objective is to support each other in all domains and act like family. CLAN connects the youth of different child care institutions. Together we work to spread awareness about the advocacy of care leavers and care leavers as identity and part of the community. By connecting care leavers with existing networks, CLAN is creating a common platform where all care leavers come together and voice out their ideas by their experience to overcome their problems and challenges. CLAN also prepares the children who are living in child care institutions for smooth transitions to an independent and self-reliant life. I am an active member of CLAN and selflessly devoting my time to care leavers who are in need and even taking help from the other members of this CLAN.

Shaping my dreams- getting selected as LIFT fellow

” Learning In Fellowship Together (LIFT)- Empowering Care Leavers as Change Makers'' is a one year program, focused on developing and nurturing care leavers in India as agents of change, who will further the cause of improving the overall situation of care leaving in India. I am blessed and fortunate to be a part of LIFT. It is the biggest opportunity where I got to explore myself and help people become aware about the care leavers as an identity and thereby collectively support them. I believe this could only be possible if we all are going to come together and collectively support them. I personally met many youth like me from other CCIs, with similar experiences and challenges , which could have  been avoided or reduced, if we all have understood them and created a platform for them. I aspire to be a change maker, voice of CLs, as a youth, as a part of our society, community, nation, and to empower CLs. I as a care leaver see myself bringing positive change into the life of CLs by getting them a platform.

Now that I have completed my graduation and am building my skills through the LIFT fellowship, I aspire to create opportunities for myself and for other care leavers. LIFT fellowship is preparing me to become a leader and empowered young change maker. Though my childhood was not bright because of unfair circumstances and surroundings, each trouble and pitfall made me stronger and resilient. I was fortunate, I had the Udayan family by my side.  Now I can proudly say that I am shaping my future and succeeding in it. I have a dream, my goal of becoming a journalist - becoming a voice for those 30 million plus children in India in need of care and protection. We need all the support we can in bringing their challenges and struggles to the light. The growth story of India is incomplete until each of its children have equitable opportunities for growth and leading a life of dignity. Let us all do our bit in making sure they do. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workplace Harmony

Receiving to Offering

Poem - We Care Leavers