Finding Sisterhood Beyond Blood

“Sisterhood is not about blood, it’s about the bond that ties hearts together”


Growing up in a child care home in a big city, I often dreamed of living with siblings together for some time to create memories with each other, someone who would truly understand me and share love and affections with each other. I even imagined us supporting each other, learning together, and facing the world as a team. But as life unfolded, I learned that even within families bound by blood, differences in upbringing can create deep divides.


My own experiences with my biological sister showed me this. While I grew up in a structured environment with access to education and mentors, my sister spent her childhood in a small, rural village, far from the life I knew. Our worlds were completely different, even though we were connected by blood. When we finally reunited as adults—something I had longed for during my years in care—I was eager to bridge the gap between us. I wanted to share my experiences and the dreams I had for our future. But it didn’t take long for our differences to become clear. Our perspectives often clashed, leading to disagreements. I found myself trying to impose my values and beliefs on her, thinking I knew what was best. But she resisted, feeling overwhelmed by what she saw as my attempts to control her. In her eyes, I was trying to be superior rather than supportive. It was a painful realization for me. I had always thought of myself as a loving and supportive sister, but I had forgotten that everyone has their own journey. I needed to respect and appreciate our differences. Over time, I learned to approach our relationship  with more empathy. I realized it was okay for us to have different paths in life. We could  still be connected, even if our journeys took us in different directions.


But it was in the care home, among girls who shared similar struggles, that I found the kind of sisterhood I had always imagined. The bonds we formed were unlike anything I had experienced with my biological sister. We were not connected by blood, but by shared experiences—by the challenges we faced and the resilience we developed together. These girls understood me in ways my sister never could, and I understood them. In these friendships, I found the true meaning of sisterhood. We supported each other through the toughest times, celebrated each others victories, and provided a shoulder to cry on when things got hard. We were each other’s family in every sense of the word. This experience of finding sisterhood beyond blood has shaped everything I do today. The bonds I have formed with care leavers are as strong, if not stronger, than any blood tie. They are my sisters in every way that counts, and as long as I am here for them, I will continue to be there f or them, offering the care and encouragement they need to succeed and loved.


This experienced  that I have shared with you all is the sisterhood I dreamed of, and this has given me beautiful memories for the rest of my life

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Workplace Harmony

Receiving to Offering

Poem - We Care Leavers