Workplace Harmony

 Nurturing Inclusivity and Support for the most vulnerable young persons with experience 

of being in care homes

Entering the workplace for the first time is both exciting and challenging for every person but more so for someone like me, a care leaver. I still remember my first job and my first day as a Legal Analyst in a well-known company. It just seemed like a great day when I entered the office that morning. I felt it would be a great learning opportunity and everyone would welcome me with open hands and hearts full of love. Yes, that was so true. The environment was friendly, and my colleagues were welcoming.

However, I quickly realized that there was a significant gap in understanding the unique challenges I faced due to my background. During my six-months’ probation period, I encountered several situations that put me in the corner, isolated, making me feel I was not wanted, and often highlighting my low social relationship skills. At times, I felt like my childhood trauma was coming back to me. I struggled at my new office, with my new colleagues, to project myself as doing well, but deep inside, I was coping with stress and anxiety.

Back home, my younger sibling, who had been struggling with severe health issues, urgently needed my support. The two of us were the only hope and support to each other. We were trying to live as a family. Having lost both our parents too early, and having grown up in different care homes, we both did not know each other well, yet we knew we were siblings and meant the world to each other. But when I requested my office for leave to attend to his critical health matter, the company’s response was cold and it made me feel I had too many issues in my personal space. They suggested that I find someone else, like relatives or friends, to take care of my sibling if I wanted to keep my job. This was disheartening and broke me inside, because it implied that there was no one to understand us, our personal issues were meant to be solved by us alone, that the system that cared for us until we both were 18, had abandoned us yet again, and the society expected us to be on our own! Was there no one who could listen to us differently and understand us?

As expected, I chose my brother’s health over my job and I was forced to quit. This abrupt end to my employment, without even serving the notice period, left me feeling like a failure and deeply disillusioned.

My experience is just not mine. There are rough estimates that say that there are about 50000 Care Leavers in India, and I know that many of them face similar challenges at the workplace.

A friendly workspace for Care Leavers

Today I have a better job and my brother is healthy and happy. We continue to be the world to each other. The new workplace understands me and my journey and I openly share my  background as a care leaver and the challenges I face because of being one. Today I get all the support I need. Today I coach other care leavers to feel empowered and not hide their identities or anything about their background. As orphaned, abandoned and surrendered children, our childhood was cared for and protected by the country’s juvenile justice system. The same law also allows for Aftercare support till 21 years and in exceptional cases till 23 years. It allows continuity in care so that we care leavers are mainstreamed in society. 

Supporting care leavers is everyone’s responsibility. It is reaching the last mile and ensuring no young life is left behind. And for this, what does it take, if you are an employer – be it a big corporate or a small business house or an NGO – open your arms to us and understand and be mindful of our issues. We are full of potential and a little guidance and support can help us feel included in society. Give us that little support. It takes us a long way in becoming independent. Trust us but do not approach us with stigma or biases. Care Leavers are also youth in society, though most vulnerable and invisible, yet entitled to all their rights as citizens and wards of this country.

Creating a friendly, inclusive, and supportive work environment not only helps care leavers feel valued but also encourages their efficient and productive contribution to the organization’s overall growth. My own experience has taught me the importance of creating inclusive workplaces spaces where employees can grow not just professionally, but also personally. When a workplace is truly inclusive, it fosters an environment where employees feel valued and supported. This, in turn, leads to higher productivity, loyalty, and a sense of pride in contributing to the organization’s success.

To become a Care Leavers’ friendly Employer, all you have to do is create inclusive workplaces for youth like me. You can be the change leader in facilitating our journey as we start our first jobs. Make us part of your workplace, be our mentors and guides, provide us with skills training, and ensure we feel supported and included. Support and shower your love and care for us so we feel included, empowered, and supported in creating our lives in ways we can contribute to the society and the nation. Trust me, we will not let you down. Give us a fair chance.


Comments

  1. My dear Surja! You've very well elaborated your thoughts and insights. Keep writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can really relate to this! how important a welcoming and inclusive workplace is for our growth. Mentorship and guidance can make such a big difference for care leavers like us. Your journey is inspiring, and it’s great to see how you’re now helping others feel supported.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words are heartfelt and inspiring, beautifully highlighting the challenges care leavers face and the importance of workplace inclusivity. Your resilience and dedication to helping others are truly commendable. Keep shining and making a difference!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Receiving to Offering

Poem - We Care Leavers